Sunday, May 29, 2011

Progress Report

Welcome to my "Progress Report".  I've accomplished a couple of things since my "What's New Wednesday" post.  I'd like to share a few of those with you and get some feedback.  I warned you of my sporadic posting habits.  My life is just too hectic right now to be consistent so you'll have to take what I can give ya'.

First, I'll start with my laundry room.  If you recall, I wanted to reorganize it and clean it out.  This is what I've accomplished so far.  See before photos here.

 I painted the walls a soft yellow color that someone else had returned and I got it for 50% off!  I then painted the shelves with a white paint that I already had...Money Saver!  The stencil I ordered from, CuttingEdgeStencils, because I knew what I was looking for and could not find it anywhere else.  It was worth the splurge!  I purchased another small can of orange paint AND a grey/khaki color that I happened to see on the clearance shelf, while I was looking for a red, and knew I could incorporate those colors so I grabbed both!  Again...50% off!  I found a can of "red", at least that was the color splattered around the outside of the can but when I had someone open it for me it was pink!  So glad I didn't buy it.  Well, I was bummed that I hadn't found a red yet and did NOT want to pay full price but then bells went off in my head and I remembered I had bought a tiny can of red a while back for the boy's room.  I began searching everywhere for that can and finally found it in the garage on a shelf!  SCORE!  The paint quality definitely was not the best but it served it's purpose and I was thrilled.

Below is a picture of an old window frame, one of three that I had purchased for $20 about 7 years ago when we were renting our first home.  I'd kept them this whole time because I really liked them and knew that at some point I would use them.  This particular one I had repainted previously and someone decided to use it as a spray paint tester!  So I carefully removed the glass panes and repainted it with the grey color.

You can see the window on the right side of the picture.  I'm not sure if that's where it will stay so if you have a suggestion I'd love to hear it!
As you can see the floors aren't done...BUT...I got a steal on the tiles that I bought for this!  I originally was going to purchase 12" square "sticky" tiles.  They looked the most like real tile for a decent price.  Well when I went to go pick them up they were out!  BUT...the gentleman helping me said that they just got a return for 18" tiles that had the same colors as the ones I wanted except these looked way better.  Well, they were twice the price! :-(  I wasn't about to do that for the laundry room.  The guy came back to me and said he could sell them for HALF PRICE!!!!  That would make these LESS than what I would've paid!  SCORE!!!  Plus I got about 1/2 more square footage!  Double SCORE!!!
I'll have to show those pictures to you when it's completed.  Sorry for making you wait so long.

Well that's all for now.  I'll be posting some cakes that I've done later.