Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Servant Leadership

"If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.  For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.  Most assuredly, I say to you,  a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.  If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them." John 13:14-17


This is the verse of day 5 of the new study I am doing.  I find it very encouraging and very startling.  Encouraging because I have had the honor of meeting and being a part of the lives of people I know who portray this very lifestyle, thinking only of others and how they can serve, help, encourage, give, love, support, teach and give glory to God for who they are and what they have.  They provide an example for me to follow, someone who is not so good at this selfless lifestyle.  Sadly, I can count those people on my two hands, maybe one. 


Startling because I cannot count on my two hands how many others I have crossed paths with that are on the opposite side of the spectrum and only do what will benefit them...what will get me more money, what will get me that raise, who do I need to step on, push over, beat up or even kill to get me my next level of "false happiness" or make me feel better about myself, to look good, feel good and let others know too?


I am at just as much fault as anyone on this point.  I too have felt like the "unfit" mother who loves their kids one moment and then in the same breath cannot wait to get away from them before I pull my hair out.  I too have not offered a helping hand to help clean up at a gathering because "I'm too tired" although the one who is left cleaning is the one who was up at the crack of dawn to make sure everything was right and ready and enjoyable for all others.  I too have allowed my desires to run rampant without regard or thought to how it would affect me or those who love me and how it would hurt them.  


These few instances and countless others are things that we have missed the mark on when I read about how Christ got up from his supper, removed his garments, wrapped a towel around Himself and bent down to wash his disciples feet.  Here he was, the God incarnate, God in flesh, the Holy One of Israel, being the first one to place Himself in one of the lowliest positions of serving so that he could teach His disciples what it meant to serve, what it meant to be happy, what it meant to love others more than yourself and what it meant to be pleasing in the sight of the Lord.


If you are wondering what you need to do to "be better", to "achieve more", to "have more" and to be accomplished, think about what you are doing to serve others and Him.  You might be surprised at how many "me, my and mine's" you could do away with and replace them with "you and your's".  Search even the smallest of actions, gestures or comments.  You'll be glad you did.  


Til next time, be blessed.

Met My Master
I had walked life's path with an easy tread,
Had followed where comfort and pleasure led;
And then by chance in a quiet place
I met my Master face to face.

With station and rank and wealth for goal,
Much thought for body but none for soul,
I had entered to win this life's mad race-
When I met my Master face to face.

I had built my castles, reared them high,
Till their towers had pierced the blue of the sky;
I had sworn to rule with an iron mace
When I met my Master face to face.

I met Him and knew Him, and blushed to see
That His eyes full of sorrow were fixed on me;
And I faltered, and fell at His feet that day
While my castles vanished and melted away.

Melted and vanished; and in their place
I saw naught else but my Master's face;
And I cried aloud: "Oh, make me meet
To follow the marks of Thy wounded feet."

My thought is now for the souls of men;
I have lost my life to find it again
Ever since alone in that holy place
My Master and I stood face to face.

Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment