Saturday, April 16, 2011

SUCCESS!!

Yay!  Gluten-Free: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie success!  I've had several people asking about baking breads, cakes and other desserts Gluten-Free.  Well, I tried and tried but never prioritized enough time, or money, to pursue it.  So, two days ago I started buying ingredients for this awesome chocolate chip cookie recipe I found (cuz I'm a sucker for chocolate chip cookies, see my recipe here) and was determined to try it!  I even posted it to FB in case someone could get to it before I did.  As you know by now...I did it!  And they are perfect to satisfy that craving for a chocolate chip cookie!  So, I managed to snap a few shots this evening when I decided to whip them up for my family who was coming over for dinner!  The recipe is simple and straightforward... almost easier than a regular recipe!

If you've tried to bake anything gluten-free OR Vegan you know that the ingredients can be quite pricey and sometimes hard to come by if you don't have a nice grocery store that stocks items for this kind of lifestyle.  Albeit more and more stores are providing a wider selection of these ingredients and prepared foods but it still may be difficult to find that one last elusive ingredient to complete your list.

I only had to make two trips to two different grocery stores to compile the ingredients called for in this particular recipe.  First, I headed to "Wallie-World" for some usual groceries and to start my hunt for items on the list.  I was able to find...
Coconut Oil - $7.32, 14 fl oz (holy moly!)
Dark Brown Sugar - $1.62, 2# bag (of course)... and
Ground Flax Meal by Bobs Red Mill - $3.45, 1# bag (Eh...ok)

Yesterday I headed to my ever trusty, H.E.B. Central Market, in search of the rest of the items on my list, which...I found!
Brown Rice Flour, Bob's - $3.72, 1lb 8oz (breathe)
Sorghum Flour, Bob's - $3.39, 1lb 6oz (suck it up)
Guittard Extra Dark Chocolate Chips - $2.59, 11.5oz (I needed 12oz darnit!)

So, while I was catching my breathe and realizing that I had spent over $22 to make one batch of cookies I had to remind myself that, "I am on a mission", "My readers are depending on me", "This could lead to increased business" and "I'm helping others to live a healthier, happier life!"  Also, I knew that I would get more than one batch out of my ingredients but still there was that initial sticker shock.

Okay!  Enough about details!  Let's get down to business!  Picture time!





Coconut oil is in a semi-solid/soft state until warmed




TADA!

When I first tasted it I tried to pretend that I didn't know it was "different" and honestly I don't think I could tell the difference aside from a slightly and I mean slightly grainy texture.  If you  have a hankering for a chocolate chip cookie this will definitely do the trick!  My awesome hubby even said that he couldn't tell the difference!  And my Vegan SIL was jumping for joy when I told her what they were...she loved them...and so did the rest of my family!

So there you have it!  Another new recipe adventure success story!  If you have a new or different recipe you've tried leave me a comment and let me know about it!  Or if you have a recipe you'd like ME to try email me and I'll do my best to oblige!

As always, drop me a comment, God bless and thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment