Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My sweet Corban??? Calling all moms!

So...Corban get's off the bus from pre-K and I ask the usual questions of, "how was your day?", "what songs did you learn?", "what book did you read?", "did you do a craft?"  But the only answers I got were, "fine" and "I didn't do anything" :-(  Okay, work with me kid.

Then he proceeds to tell me that he doesn't like school or his teacher because he "didn't get treasure box" today. Alright, making progress.  So I open his folder to find a sad face on today's date and "hitting friends during presentation - hiding from teacher who was talking to him" (GASP!)  Could this be true, that my sweet Corban was acting this way?  Yes.  I've seen it with my own eyes and heard it before.  Well, it doesn't end there.  I then begin to tell him that he can't act this was in school because they won't let him go anymore and he wouldn't be able to learn all the fun things and grow and all that good motherly stuff.  Then he says, "well, she punched me in the face!" What!  No way mister.  I explained to him that that was lying and it makes God sad and can hurt other people.  Then...I spank him...two swats.  Then sent him to his room without finishing lunch.
  

If you don't know me, I'm a no-nonsense mom or at least like to think I am.  I don't tolerate talking back very well and yes, I teach my boys to say "m'am", "sir", "please" and "thank you".  Basics where I come from.  Of course I have to remind them every day but still...I'm trying.  So when something "unacceptable" happens I do my very best to "nip it in the bud".

Now, as I'm writing this my son has been up in his room for about 15 minutes and he's still...as he was 15 minutes ago...crying out for his big brother. :-|

I felt raising Casey, my first, was easy.  I knew exactly what to do, exactly what to say...WRONG!  I thought I knew but I was just setting myself up to realize how much I really didn't.  He's 8 now and I'm still trying to figure this little guy out!  I'm sure I'll be doing that for years to come.

But, Corban.  My sweet, sweet Corban.  He was a good baby.  He was even a good toddler...but now...sheez!  I don't know what's gotten into him!  I know it probably has to do with school but I...wait...it's suddenly quiet upstairs.  I think he's fallen asleep.  Thank God.  Anyways,  I think it started before school when I started noticing he was becoming more "whiny".  I can NOT stand whining.  Then it just got worse with school.  Now, he says all the time that "you're being mean to me" and "you're not my friend".  You know,  you've probably heard them before too.  Well it's escalating to "I'm gonna tear your house apart" or "I'm gonna tear my clothes up."  Last week he even said he was gonna call the cops on me because I was being a meanie!  Ha!  I can laugh now but that hurt my feelings at the time.

(Sigh)  I know it's a phase.  I just keep praying that the Lord would guide me and Rick as we try to raise these two boys to be caring, loving, strong, independent, respectful young men in a world that's full of the opposite. It's hard to stay focused on doing or saying the right thing when they insist on interrupting you while you're having an adult conversation, wondering exactly what we are talking about or you just sit down to pick your feet up when they start fighting over the stretchy, skeleton, gummy, thing one of them got from a b-day party!  I'm sorry it sounds like I'm complaining, but I just had to get this out.

I know this probably goes without saying but I love my boys with all my heart and I would do anything for them.  God has blessed me with two incredible little men and I just hope and pray that I do everything in my power to help them become the men of God they are meant to be!


...maybe he just needed a nap...and maybe I do too.

1 comment:

  1. Natalia,
    You're a wonderful mommy. I know you are. Stick to your guns and eventually you will win. I know you'll do great!

    (You have a couple of handsome little cuties on your hands.) :O)

    ReplyDelete