Friday, July 20, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies

I know what you're thinking...Seriously! Cinnamon Roll Cookies!!  Yes!  And they are scrumptious!  So, yesterday I posted about Cinnamon Marshmallows.  Today it's cookies that I will be taking to the baby shower.  I really want to say something funny right now that will make you laugh out loud (lol) and love me more but my brain is on overload and I can't come up with anything witty at the moment so we'll just get to the pictures and retelling of how I made these bites of awesomeness.  Hopefully you'll love me anyway.

I used my go to sugar cookie recipe from LilaLoa who, I might add, is very witty and is always making me laugh. (sigh)  If you've never read her blog you should pop on over and read whatever hilarious stuff she's talking about now.  (whatever) Anyhoo, her recipe is just what I needed for this and I got to work.

Okay, so evidently my brain was not firing on all cylinders earlier either when I took these because I left out the brown sugar, baking powder and salt.  I am...so ashamed.  Not really.  Moving on!

Cream the butter and sugar.  Add the eggs, mix.  Add the salt and powder, mix. Add vanilla, mix.  Then add the flour and, you guessed it, mix.

Roll out half the dough on parchment in a rectangle, oblong shape thingy.

Spread the butter.

Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon.  Then roll into a log, wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake.

Now I'm ready to bake and here's my cookie log.

I sliced it into about 1/3" slices.  You can see that yummy swirl filling.

They're all on the pan ready to bake at 375º F for 7-9 min.

Ding!  They are golden and still a bit soft.  They didn't come out as "rounded" as I wanted but I think I might have gotten a different result if I'd've baked them right away.  Either way they came out delicious!

I was extremely pleased with the flavors!  You definitely get the "cinnamon roll" flavor!  I did try drizzling a bit of a sugar glaze on a few just to see how it tasted and I wasn't completely sold.  So, I'm gonna wait and ice them with a bit of the cream cheese icing I'm making for the Cinnamon Swirl Cupcakes!  I know they are going to be scrumptious! 


Here's LilaLoa's original recipe and my "cinnamon roll" addition at the bottom.

Vanilla Sugar Cookies (my additions)

1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon orange (or almond) extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
4 (or 4 1/2 cups) flour

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, vanilla, and orange extract. Mix well. Add baking powder and salt and mix again.  Add flour 1 cup at a time. Again, IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE THESE COOKIES RIGHT AWAY, add 4 1/2 cups flour and go for it. No need to chill the dough. If you are not going to use the dough immediately-- stop at 4 cups of flour. Roll out half the dough on a lightly floured parchment paper covered surface to 3/8 inch thick. Proceed with Cinnamon Roll Addition below if making Cinnamon Roll cookies. or cut dough into desired shapes and bake as directed. Bake at 375 F for 7 minutes. Eat and enjoy. Repeat as necessary.

** I use butter that is only slightly softened. Mostly because I don't have the foresight to get it out until EXACTLY when I need it. This recipe is perfect for that. Get your butter out first and then gather the rest of your ingredients and you should be good to go.

** You can see that this recipe really is only a variation of the End-All Chocolate recipe. The texture is the same. The sharp edges are the same. The mouth-feel of the cookies is the same. They are just....you know, Chocolate-Free. I hope that's okay.

Cinnamon Roll Addition

4 tablespoons of soften butter, divided
1/2 C packed brown sugar, divided
2 tsp cinnamon, divided

Spread half the butter onto rolled out dough, sprinkle with half the brown sugar and half the cinnamon. Roll up dough starting from the long side. Wrap in plastic wrap until ready to bake or slice and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet right away and bake at 375º F for 7 minutes. Ice with a cream cheese icing or sugar glaze! Enjoy!

As always...be blessed, thanks for reading, and leave some love!


No comments:

Post a Comment