Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Homemade Cinnamon Marshmallows

This Saturday I'm providing most of the desserts for my sis-in-law's baby shower and one of the things I am making is Homemade Marshmallows!  Let me tell you...these are absolutely yummy!!!  The shower has a "Bun in the Oven" theme and we're playing off of the cinnamon bun flavors so I added cinnamon to these to tie it into the theme.

The recipe I used I found on Bakerella's blog that she had posted from a recipe book called Marshmallow Madness.  I had tried a marshmallow recipe from my Martha Stewart cookbook years back and those came out just fine but I wanted to try something new.  Yesterday I tried another marshmallow recipe that used egg whites and I thought those looked wonderful from the blog I saw it on but they came out very wet and the powdered sugar got crusty.  Now, I don't know about you but the only thing I like to be crusty is fresh, baked bread.  Anything else and I think it has a negative connotation.  If you know of something else that is good when crusty I'd like to know about it.

Back to marshmallow making!  So when I realized my first batch was (ahem)...crusty, I was determined to try again.  That's when I remembered Bakerella had posted a recipe and I know her stuff turns out delicious!  I decided to give it a try.  The thing that stuck out right away was that this recipe had no eggs!  Just what I was looking for.  The recipe says to spray your pans but I wasn't taking any chances because I know, from experience, what a booger marshmallows can be to get out if not done properly.  So, I decided to use wax paper to line my pans and then grease them down.  Also, the recipe says to use a 9x13 but I knew I wanted mine to be a little thicker so I used an 8x8.  The list of ingredients is SUPER simple!!!

Gelatin, sugar, syrup, salt, vanilla, candy thermometer

 Let the gelatin bloom in cold water.

 Boil your sugar, syrup and some water in a pot with the thermometer.

 Mix more syrup with the gelatin that you've warmed to liquify it.

 Let the sugar reach 240º F.

 Add it to the mixer with the gelatin and syrup.

Mix on medium for 5 min. then medium-high for 5 more.

Mix on high for 2-3 min. for it to come together and add your flavorings.  This is where I added the cinnamon.  You want the bowl to be cool to the touch.  The book doesn't say that but that's what I do and it works for me.

Pour it in your prepared pan.

Make a powder sugar and cornstarch mix.

Generously dust that over the top to cover and let it sit for at least 6 hours.

Flip it out of the pan and peel off the paper if using.  It looked beautiful already!

Now here you can snip with scissors, which I did on the first strip (too jagged for me), or I used a large knife on the rest and that seemed to make cleaner cuts for the look I was going for.

Then, I used my scissors to cut squares out of the strips and tossed them in the powder mix to coat all sides.  I LOVED the way they turned out!

 They even tasted divine with the cinnamon!  If you've never tasted a homemade marshmallow you are seriously in for a treat!  They are incredibly soft, light, and not overly sweet.  They kind of melt in your mouth and you can flavor them so many ways!

I'll definitely be making another batch tomorrow to take to the shower 'cuz these bad boys with go like hotcakes! 

I think I'll make them pink, orange and green!  To match the shower colors.

Here's how I did it adapted from Marshmallow Madness by Shauna Sever.  Enjoy!

Vanilla Marshmallows
Bloom Stage
4 1/2 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
Syrup Stage
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup, divided
1/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon salt
Mallowing Stage
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Classic coating (Sift together 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar and 1 cup cornstarch)
  • Lightly coat an 8x8 inch baking pan with shortening.  Use a paper towel to wipe and coat the surface of the pan evenly.  Line the pan with wax paper and coat again with shortening.
  • Add gelatin to a bowl of cold water. Whisk together and let soften for about 10 minutes.
  • In a 1 1/2 quart saucepan, stir together the sugar, 1/4 of the corn syrup, water and salt over high heat.
  • Boil, stirring occasionally until the temperature reaches 240º F on a candy thermometer. (Make sure the tip does not touch the bottom of the pot)
  • While boiling, pour remaining 1/4 cup of corn syrup into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Microwave gelatin on high for about 30 seconds. Stir again and pour into the mixer bowl. Set the speed to low and keep it running.
  • When the syrup reaches 240º F, slowly pour it into the mixer bowl.
  • Increase speed to medium and beat 5 minutes.
  • Increase speed to medium high and beat 5 more minutes.
  • Increase speed to highest setting and beat 2-3 minutes.
  • Beat in vanilla and cinnamon or other preferred flavoring.
  • Pour into prepared pan, using an offset spatula to quickly smooth it out.
  • Sift classic coating evenly and generously over the top. Let set for at least 6 hours in a cool, dry place.
  • Invert pan on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.  Gently pull away wax paper that is now on top.  Dust with more classic coating.
  • Cut into squares using a knife or scissors or use a cookie cutter.  Dip sticky/cut edges of marshmallows into the coating and drop several coated mallows in a sieve and shake off any excess.
  • Store in an cool dry place in a pan with the lid slightly ajar to allow air flow. If the mallows resist drying, you can simply dust with more coating for any edges that are damp.
As always, be blessed, thanks for stopping by and leave some love!


No comments:

Post a Comment